Blog

How to Protect Our Oceans

The ocean is a big, wild, beautiful place. In fact, the ocean covers over 70% of the earth’s surface. Even though land covers the other 30%, our oceans are still in danger of pollution, overfishing, and rising temperatures. At GUSELLA, we believe in preserving and protecting our oceans. What we do on land–and on sea–directly impacts what happens around the globe and to our Earth. And even though the ocean is so large and vast, we as individuals and as a group, can make a difference. So, what can you do to protect our oceans? Keep reading and find out!

Take Care of Your Local Beaches

Beaches are things of beauty. They connect us to the water in such a dramatic and wonderful way that it is hard to not be inspired. Just imagine a sunrise or sunset on a beach, or watching the waves crash over jagged rocks or slowly roll over the glistening sand. Now, imagine those same scenarios and also picture refuse, rubbish, and litter covering the rocks and sand. Every time those waves crash onto the beach, the receding tide and undertow takes a little bit of that trash with it back into the ocean. From there, it is anyone’s guess where that trash ends up. In the unfortunate situations, though, marine animals mistake the rubbish for food and eat it. When this happens, the marine animals can become injured, and in some cases, die. So, next time you’re at the beach enjoying a beautiful day, be sure to clean up after yourself, and if you see someone else leaving the beach with a mess, politely ask them to clean it up. After all, we want our beaches to be clean for us to enjoy, and when our beaches are clean, we’re doing something to make sure the oceans stay protected, too.

Eat Responsibly Sourced Seafood

As more and more people consume seafood, the fishing industries are trying to keep up with the demand. The result is that a lot of waters where these fish live are becoming overfished. As more and more habitats are overfished, other marine life may die or flourish, throwing off the natural balance of the environment. If, for instance, an overfished species is no longer thriving at their normal numbers, their prey may not have anyone to hunt them, thus becoming too abundant for the environment. This means that other marine life may not be able to thrive as they once did. The chain reaction that occurs when waters are overfished is very hard to reverse, too. When you go out to eat or are shopping, ask how your fish was caught. If possible, it is also important to learn if the fish or seafood you love is in any danger of being overfished.

Use Cloth Bags and Reusable Containers

By now, a lot of people know that that some plastics can be recycled, while others cannot. One of the biggest problems of ocean pollution comes from plastic shopping bags. These shopping bags are inexpensive to make, but they take a very long time to decompose, especially in landfills. Plastic bags break down into smaller pieces if they find their way to the ocean, where the toxins in the plastics are then ingested by animals or are washed up on the shore, where they can endanger sea life and people. By switching to reusable cloth tote bags to carry your groceries or other goods (like your new GUSELLA outfit and shoes!), you’re not only reducing the amount of bags going into a landfill or the ocean, but you’re also reducing the overall demand for plastic bags. Also, there are a lot of cute, stylish cloth bags, so replacing your plastic bags can be fun, too!

These are just a few ways that you can protect our precious ocean. There are many more ways, and if you’re looking for ways to do more, look for a reputable conservation organization and see how you can help them achieve their mission. From all of us at GUSELLA, thank you for doing your part to protect our oceans.

You Might Also Like...

No Comments

    Leave a Reply